BN GREEN EVENTS is a free community calendar provided by the Ecology Action Center to promote environmental classes, workshops, presentations, and more within the the Bloomington-Normal area. Submit your event using the public submission form. Inclusion of events within the BN Green Events Calendar does not constitute endorsement by the Ecology Action Center.
McLean County HHW Collection
September 9 @ 8:00 am - 2:00 pmFree but donations encouraged
On Saturday, September 9, 2017 McLean County residents will have an opportunity for safe disposal of their Household Hazardous Wastes (HHW). The Ecology Action Center has again led a public-private partnership to raise funds for to cover the costs of a HHW collection; Rivian Automotive (located at the former Mitsubishi Motors North America) is generously providing their facility as a venue for the public event. Proper disposal of HHW items is crucial for the protection of local water supplies.
The September 9 HHW collection will be open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and is free and open only to McLean County residents. Per state regulations only residential HHW can be collected – no business or commercially generated wastes may be accepted. Residents may enter the event via the south entrace to the Rivian Automotive Facility, from West College Avenue in Normal. The event will occur rain or shine.
For an efficient event and to minimize wait times, residents are encouraged to follow these guidelines:
- Items that will be accepted include oil-based paints, household batteries, paint thinners, used motor oil, herbicides, drain cleaners, insecticides, lawn chemicals, pesticides, solvents, old gasoline, antifreeze, pool chemicals, hobby chemicals, cleaning products, aerosol paints and pesticides, mercury, fluorescent lamp bulbs, double bagged and wetted asbestos, old and outdated medicines and pharmaceuticals, and electronics, including tube-style TVs or monitors (limited to one tube style TV accepted per household).
- Items that will not be accepted include latex paint, tires, agricultural chemicals, propane tanks, business/commercial sector wastes, smoke detectors, explosives, farm machinery oil, fireworks, fire extinguishers, lead acid batteries, institutional wastes, medical wastes, sharps, needles and potentially infectious medical wastes.
- Latex paint is not hazardous and may be disposed of in household trash once it has been completely dried to a solid. This is easily accomplished by pouring the latex paint out onto several layers of newspaper or other disposable material in an appropriate amount and letting it air dry. Once it is dry and solidified it may be safely and legally thrown in the trash. This technique is only applicable to latex paints; oil paints are always considered hazardous and should be used up for their intended purpose or disposed of at a HHW event.
- Materials should be kept in original labeled packaging and containers – do not mix materials together.
- Carpool your HHW. To reduce excessive traffic and waiting time at the event, residents are strongly encouraged to work with their neighbors and friends, especially in helping the elderly, to bring HHW materials from multiple households in one vehicle.
- Materials will only be accepted during the event hours – dumping of materials before or after the event is illegal.
Improper disposal of household hazardous wastes pollutes our local water supplies and environment. Whether it is thrown out with regular trash going to a municipal waste landfill, dumped illegally down the drain, storm sewer, or in a ditch, these actions compromise the safety of drinking water thereby threatening the health and well-being of area residents. The Ecology Action Center, a local leader in recycling and solid waste management efforts, receives inquiries daily from concerned residents who wish to dispose of materials properly. HHW collection events are the primary means for safe disposal of many of these materials.
To cover the estimated $175,000 cost of this one-day event, the Ecology Action Center is accepting donations to the McLean County HHW Fund. Tax deductible donations may be made online or by sending a check to: Ecology Action Center, 202 W College Ave, Normal, IL 61761. Please donate to make this event a success.
Volunteers are critical to the success of this event. Please sign up to assist with event set up, take down, or traffic control and other roles. All volunteers must be 18 years old or older.