BN GREEN EVENTS is a free community calendar provided by the Ecology Action Center to promote environmental classes, workshops, presentations, and more within the the Bloomington-Normal area. Submit your event using the public submission form. Inclusion of events within the BN Green Events Calendar does not constitute endorsement by the Ecology Action Center.
- This event has passed.
Rain Barrel Workshop
May 17, 2017 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Join us at our upcoming rain barrel workshop on Saturday, May 17, 2017, at 5:30 p.m., where YOU build your own water-saving rain water collection and storage container.
Workshop prices are $45 ($35 EAC member price).
The workshop includes:
- A reused, 55-gallon, food-grade, heavy-gauge plastic barrel (non-food-grade, MSDS datasheet provided)
- A flexible plastic elbow to direct rain water from your downspout to your rain barrel. Fits 3″ downspouts.
- A 6″ heavy duty screen to prevent entry of mosquitoes and leaves
- High-quality fittings for long life
- Overflow hose and fittings with mosquito barrier
- Instruction and use of all tools needed for the project
- Workshop excludes installation materials for your specific home which may include concrete blocks, hacksaw, screwdriver, sheet metal screws, etc.
The fine print: This workshop runs rain or shine. The construction process can get a bit messy so wear clothes that can get dirty. The barrels measure 25″ x 35″ and weigh 25 pounds. Bring an appropriate vehicle to transport your barrel home. There is a limit of one rain barrel per household per workshop. We will use power tools: safety glasses are required and will be provided. For safety reasons, all participants must be 18 years or older.
*Note: If you are interested in a 275 gallon mega rain harvester (measure about 4′ x 4′ x 4′ and weigh 50 pounds), we are not275-gallon mega rain harvesterbuilding those in this workshop, but they are available for purchase and delivery. They are $100 or $90 for EAC supporters plus tax. We can also deliver in Bloomington-Normal for $25 and in the rest of McLean County for $50. Please contact the Ecology Action Center if you are interested in a mega rain harvester 309-454-3169.