BN GREEN EVENTS is a free community calendar provided by the Ecology Action Center to promote environmental classes, workshops, presentations, and more within the the Bloomington-Normal area. Submit your event using the public submission form. Inclusion of events within the BN Green Events Calendar does not constitute endorsement by the Ecology Action Center.
Rain Barrel Workshop
May 17 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Join us at our upcoming rain barrel workshop on Saturday, May 17, 2017, at 5:30 p.m., where YOU build your own water-saving rain water collection and storage container.
Workshop prices are $45 ($35 EAC member price).
The workshop includes:
- A reused, 55-gallon, food-grade, heavy-gauge plastic barrel (non-food-grade, MSDS datasheet provided)
- A flexible plastic elbow to direct rain water from your downspout to your rain barrel. Fits 3″ downspouts.
- A 6″ heavy duty screen to prevent entry of mosquitoes and leaves
- High-quality fittings for long life
- Overflow hose and fittings with mosquito barrier
- Instruction and use of all tools needed for the project
- Workshop excludes installation materials for your specific home which may include concrete blocks, hacksaw, screwdriver, sheet metal screws, etc.
The fine print: This workshop runs rain or shine. The construction process can get a bit messy so wear clothes that can get dirty. The barrels measure 25″ x 35″ and weigh 25 pounds. Bring an appropriate vehicle to transport your barrel home. There is a limit of one rain barrel per household per workshop. We will use power tools: safety glasses are required and will be provided. For safety reasons, all participants must be 18 years or older.
*Note: If you are interested in a 275 gallon mega rain harvester (measure about 4′ x 4′ x 4′ and weigh 50 pounds), we are not275-gallon mega rain harvesterbuilding those in this workshop, but they are available for purchase and delivery. They are $100 or $90 for EAC supporters plus tax. We can also deliver in Bloomington-Normal for $25 and in the rest of McLean County for $50. Please contact the Ecology Action Center if you are interested in a mega rain harvester 309-454-3169.