BN GREEN EVENTS is a free community calendar provided by the Ecology Action Center to promote environmental classes, workshops, presentations, and more within the the Bloomington-Normal area. Submit your event using the public submission form. Inclusion of events within the BN Green Events Calendar does not constitute endorsement by the Ecology Action Center.
- This event has passed.
Rain Barrel Workshop
July 11, 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Join us at our upcoming rain barrel workshop on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 6:00 p.m., where YOU build your own water-saving rain water collection and storage container.
Workshop prices are $45 ($35 EAC member price).
The workshop includes:
- A reused, 55-gallon, food-grade, heavy-gauge plastic barrel (non-food-grade, MSDS datasheet provided)
- A flexible plastic elbow to direct rain water from your downspout to your rain barrel. Fits 3″ downspouts.
- A 6″ heavy duty screen to prevent entry of mosquitoes and leaves
- High-quality fittings for long life
- Overflow hose and fittings with mosquito barrier
- Instruction and use of all tools needed for the project
- Workshop excludes installation materials for your specific home which may include concrete blocks, hacksaw, screwdriver, sheet metal screws, etc.
The fine print: The construction process can get a bit messy so wear clothes that can get dirty. The barrels measure 25″ x 35″ and weigh 25 pounds. Bring an appropriate vehicle to transport your barrel home. There is a limit of one rain barrel per household per workshop. For safety reasons, all participants must be 18 years or older.
Pre-2011 EAC rain barrels:
If you built or bought an EAC rain barrel during or prior to 2011, please check to see if the lid of your barrel fits properly and there are nor holes or gaps that would allow mosquitoes inside the barrel; they can fit through very small gaps or cracks. If your rain barrel seals poorly or has noticeable cracks/gaps – you can attend a new workshop and replace your old barrel for a new one with a secure lid at a reduced price (see that option on the registration form below)
Mega Rain Harvester
275gal mega rain harvester
*Note: If you are interested in a 275 gallon mega rain harvester (measure about 4′ x 4′ x 4′ and weigh 50 pounds), we are not building 275-gallon mega rain harvesters in this workshop, but they are available for purchase and delivery. They are $100 or $90 for EAC supporters plus tax. We can also deliver in Bloomington-Normal for $25 and in the rest of McLean County for $50. Please contact the Ecology Action Center if you are interested in a mega rain harvester 309-454-3169.