The 2019 McLean County Household Hazardous Waste Collection will be held on September 7, 2019. In a change from past practice, the 2019 event will be appointment-only in order to regulate traffic flow more evenly; residents must sign up for an appointment (appt deadline at noon on Friday, September 6). Our HHW Appointment system is now closed – if you did not get an appointment in time, please try visiting the event site between 1:15 p.m. and 2 p.m. – we might still be able to accommodate you. The event takes place at Rivian Automotive, the former Mitsubishi plant at 100 N Mitsubishi Motorway in Normal.
- PARTICIPATION IS LIMITED TO MCLEAN COUNTY RESIDENTS: Illinois regulations mandate that only residential wastes may be collected—no business or commercially generated wastes can be accepted.
- ITEMS ACCEPTED: Oil-based paints, yard care chemicals, electronics (limits on TVs or monitors – one per household), mercury-containing items, CFLs and fluorescent tubes, asbestos, harsh household cleaners, poisons, spray paints and other aerosols, medicines, and corrosives.
- ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED: Latex paint, tires, agricultural chemicals, propane tanks, business wastes, smoke detectors, explosives, farm machinery oil, fireworks, fire extinguishers, lead-acid batteries, medical wastes, sharps, and needles.
- LATEX PAINT IS NOT HAZARDOUS: Dispose of latex paint safely and legally by drying it out completely and then putting in in the trash. Pour it onto several layers of old newspaper in a thin layer for quick drying.
- HELP YOUR NEIGHBORS CARPOOL YOUR HHW: Help keep the lines short and wait to a minimum by bringing materials from multiple households in one car. Please help neighbors who are elderly, have mobility restrictions, or do not have cars.
- VOLUNTEER: Updated 8.30.19 Thanks! We now have enough volunteers!
This one-day event may cost up to $175,000. While the City of Bloomington, Town of Normal and Mclean County have agreed to provide a significant portion of the funding, private contributions are necessary for the remaining portion. Please contribute to the McLean County HHW Fund. Donations may be made using the online form or by mail. Please make checks out to “Ecology Action Center” and mail to: Ecology Action Center, Attn: HHW Fund, 202 W College Ave, Normal, IL 61761. All contributions are tax deductible. You will receive an acknowledgment for tax purposes. Businesses or organizations interested in sponsorship opportunities, please contact Michael Brown at 309-454-3169 or [email protected]ncenter.org. The Fall 2019 HHW Collection will be successful only with your support.
Thank you to our 2019 McLean County HHW sponsors!