Visit Page
Skip to content

Ways to Locally Recycle/Dispose of some HHW materials

Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) bulbs and Fluorescent Tube bulbs: There are various retail drop-off locations for CFL recycling. Residents are asked to wrap CFLs in newspaper or place them in original packaging before recycling to reduce breakage.

Used motor oil and antifreeze: Many mechanics will accept automotive fluids for recycling. The Grease, Oil, and Automotive Recycling list has a few locations.

Latex paint (but not oil paints) can be disposed of in the garbage safely if you first allow the paint to dry completely into a dry mass. The quickest way to do so is by pouring the latex paint onto several layers of newspaper, allowing it to dry, and then rolling the newspaper up and throwing it away.

Unused or expired pharmaceuticals: There are various pharmaceutical drop boxes for safe disposal.

Residential electronics: It is required by law that certain electronics are recycled. McLean County residents can use the Residential Electronics Program located at the Normal Public Works.

Other household hazardous waste items not listed above (including oil-based paints, paint thinner, herbicides, insecticides, fertilizers, drain cleaners, cleaning chemicals, pool chemicals, and mercury containing items such as old thermostats and thermometers) all still need to be disposed of at a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event.