TerraCycle’s purpose is to eliminate the idea of waste by creating national recycling systems for previously non-recyclable or hard-to-recycle waste. Anyone can sign up for these programs, called the Brigades, and start sending them waste materials.
TerraCycle then converts the collected waste into a wide variety of products and materials. With more than 20 million people collecting waste in 14 countries, TerraCycle has diverted billions of units of waste and used them to create over 1,500 different products available at major retailers ranging from Walmart to Whole Foods Market.
Their goal is to eliminate the idea of waste by creating collection and solution systems for anything that today must be sent to a landfill.
DROP OFF LOCATIONS
St. Luke Union Church (collection is in the Garage in back – collection containers are labeled)
2101 E Washington St Bloomington, IL 61701 —–(corner of Regency Drive and Washington St – open 24 hrs/7 days a week)
Questions: Amie Keeton (309) 242-8871 or [email protected]
Common Ground Grocery (drop at counter and provide telephone number in or on each bag)
516 N Main St ; Bloomington, IL 61701
Questions: Janet Guaderrama (309) 310-2511 or [email protected]
Questions about any TerraCycle items: Melanie Ziomek (309) 830-2567 or [email protected]
- Baby Food Pouch Brigade: Accepts all baby and toddler food plastic pouches and caps (such as Go-Go Squeeze, Ella’s, Earth’s Best, etc.). Please leave cap on to reduce smell and leaking.
- BIC Writing Instruments: All brands of empty writing instruments, glue sticks, watercolor dispensers, paint sets, and flexible packaging
- Brita® or PUR Brigade®: Accepts all brands of pitchers, individual filtration bottles, filters, foil filter packaging, and faucet filtration systems.
- Burt’s Bee Brigade: Accepts any Burt’s Bee products packaging (must be this brand only).
- Cigarette Waste: NO DROP OFF– PLEASE CALL MELANIE (309) 830-2567 FOR MORE INSTRUCTIONS. Accepts cold extinguished cigarettes, cigarette filters, loose tobacco pouches, outer plastic packaging, inner foil packaging, rolling paper and ash.
- Contact Lens Brigade: Accepts all brands of contact lenses, plus foil and blister packaging.
- Dental and Deodorant Brigade: Accepts all brands toothpaste tubes and caps, toothbrushes, floss containers, mouthwash bottles and caps, plastic deodorant containers and caps; also, plastic soap wrappers from multi-packs. Please note: This brigade does not accept aerosol deodorant cans which go in regular city recycling once they are empty.
- Entenmann’s Little Bites Pouches Brigade: Accepts only Entenmann’s brand Little Bites plastic pouches and clear Entenmann’s Minis packaging.
- Febreze Air Care Brigade: Accepts all brands of air freshener cartridges and plus, packaging and flexible film packaging, and trigger heads (plastic bottles/cans go in regular curbside recycling).
- Late July® Snacks: Late July® Snacks packaging and chip bags (must be Late July brand)
- Personal Care & Beauty Brigade: Accepts any empty personal care or beauty product plastic containers such as lipstick tubes, plastic hairspray bottles, trigger sprayers, any type of empty lotion tubes and bottles, nasal spray bottles. No aerosol cans or glass containers (if empty may be recycled in regular curbside recycling). No nail polish bottles.
- Plastic Cup Brigade: Accepts ONLY #6 rigid plastic cups – empty, rinse and let dry before donating. No lids, no straws, no other #6 plastic items.
Additional items collected (not TerraCycle):
- Lion’s Club collection: Cell phones; Christmas light strands (LED plastic twinkle lights); home computer printer cartridges (no business-size cartridges); eyeglasses; hearing aids; keys.
Items NOT accepted:
- No random plastic items, plastic wrap, ziplock bags, frozen food bags, candy wrappers, dog food/cat food bags, water softener bags, diaper/wipe packages
- No wrappers from tea, cheese, meat, rice, pasta, produce
- No items not specifically listed above as accepted